L’assurance est présente dans tous les aspects de votre vie



What do Loss Adjusters do?

Loss adjusters investigate insurance claims arising out of losses such as fires, car accidents and burglaries. They determine the amount of damage or loss covered by the insurance policy. Adjusters make recommendations regarding payment of benefits, based on the coverage noted on the insurance policy and negotiate payment and settlement. Loss adjusters also:
  • Ensure that those who have suffered a loss receive all of the benefits and assistance to which they are entitled.
  • In disputed claims, may also be required to investigate the cause of the loss - how a fire started, why a plane went down, etc.
  • Investigate, negotiate and settle a variety of claims in an efficient manner and in compliance with a variety or requirements.
    conduct witness interviews, take statements and consult with police reports.
  • Report in a variety of ways - in writing, through e-mail or on-line, and must present or report on these findings, propose solutions and negotiate settlements and agreements with third parties, clients or other concerned parties.
  • Inspect and/or evaluate damages when required, estimate costs or commercial value, examine reports or other documents, evaluate losses, establish claims guidelines and quantifying settlement amounts.
  • Participate in private and/or mandatory mediation, settlement meetings, settlement conferences, pre-trails, court proceedings and other dispute resolution methods as required.
Loss adjusters are often hired by insurance companies, government services or independent adjusting firms.

Some examples of roles within this field are: bodily injury (BI) claims representative, accident benefits (AB) claims adjuster, field claims representative, claims examiner, marine insurance coordinator, catastrophe adjusters, claims assistant, physical damage (PD) claims representative, claims specialist, telephone adjuster, road adjuster, property or liability adjuster, technical service representative and call centre agent.

 Is this career for me?

Do the following statements accurately describe you?

You are naturally inquisitive with a keen interest in criminal or civil investigation and strong computer proficiency
You are a strong communicator with exceptional decision-making, problem-solving and investigation skills
You are analytical and thorough and like dealing with people.
You have (or had) a part-time job that involves decision-making and problem-solving, interpersonal and communication skills, such as a nurses aide, restaurant server or retail sales associate.
If you answered yes to these statements, then a career as a loss adjuster might be the perfect fit!

How do I get there?

A combination of the following qualifications would be helpful in gaining employment as a Loss Adjuster in the property and casualty insurance industry.

What should I take in high school?
Your high school course plan should include post secondary pre-requisites in Grade 12 English, Math, Law, Computer Studies and Business Studies.

At a minimum, some organizations will consider a high school diploma and 1-2 years of relevant work experience (ie customer service representative, claims clerical support) for an entry level position with the condition that the employee will complete a Chartered Insurance Professional (CIP) designation or other relevant industry designation and an adjuster's license.

Most, if not all, insurance organizations support their staff's continuing and professional education by providing financial support and time off for studying/writing exams.

At the post-secondary level, a minimum education requirement is a general degree or specialized education in criminal studies, law and security or business administration.

For a greater advantage and the highest placement value, consider completing the business of insurance program. Learn more.

All independent adjusters must be licensed to carry out their responsibilities. Independent adjusters require a provincial license issued by the Superintendent of Insurance in the province or territory of employment.

Licensing qualifications are earned while the applicant is employed by an independent adjusting firm. Yet course completion can take place prior to employment. Licensing requirements vary by province and often require candidates to complete a number of Insurance Institute courses

Loss Adjuster Postcard

What does the future hold?

Earning Potential for this role depends on education, experience, and geographic region. Much weight is given to those with specialized experience and education (ie fully licensed and/or CIP designation with specialization in adjusting). Many employers offer performance-linked bonuses.

Across Canada employment opportunities for claims adjusters are on the rise. The increase is largely due to organizations responding to losses and catastrophes. Loss adjusters will also need to replace retiring workers and meet the needs of an increasing population, especially in urban centres. This has already created a substantial number of job openings and professional opportunities.